Friday, April 26, 2013

Backwards And In High Heels

Larry and David are out this evening, at the homeschool prom. 

Gosh, that sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, doesn't it?  The homeschool prom, part Geography Bee, part Bible verse recitation contest! 

Larry is one of the chaperones.  David, let it be said, has attended under duress, having no interest whatsoever in an event that does not involve airplanes or computers.  Given that most of his friends will be in attendance, we're pretty sure he'll have a good time, anyway.  And besides, I was just dying to see him in a tie.

David can't do ANY of this with his hair.
Let me say right here, it is way easier to send a boy to the prom than a girl.  During the years Anna attended prom, several weeks would be spent in search of the right dress and shoes.  On the day of the big event, she would depart about 3:00 in the afternoon for a friend's house, where a number of girls were assembling with dresses, shoes, full make-up kits, and hair accessories at the ready.  (And let me praise the saintly nature of the mother who hosted this gathering.)  The girls then spent upwards of 2 hours preparing their toilettes and modifying their dresses to suit the dress code, before they set out for the actual prom location. 

David, on the other hand, wandered into his room at 5:30 this afternoon, threw on his khaki pants, dress shirt, blazer, and dress shoes; he then sauntered downstairs, where Larry showed him how to put on one of his ties.  They walked out the door at 5:45, leaving me feeling as though we must have forgotten something.  15 minutes?  Really?

No wonder guys always seem so much less stressed.


[Bonus points to anyone who recognizes where the title of this post comes from!]

[Prom hair image: Camille - La Vie]

12 comments:

  1. Without even googling, I'm sure that quote is about Ginger Rogers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even home with boy #1 went to prom, so I missed even that tiny bit of experience. Boy #2 refused to go and he isn't the type to wear shoes. Boy #3 gives me hope, as does this post.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember who said it, but Ginger Rodgers did everything Fred Astaire did - backwards and in high heels.

    Boys may be easier, but I always think the prepping is part of the fun. The event itself is often somewhat of a letdown. But maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss those years.....
    I was not given the genes for make up and hair, those things were best done at other people's houses..
    But good Lord I miss those rooms of teen boys and girls.
    It was so much fun to watch them become adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boys are so much easier in the clothes and hair department!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the post's title is from "Lily's Purple Plastic Purse" by Kevin Henkes.

    I can't decide whether to force my son to go to his senior prom. I've already seen him wearing a tie on several occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My older son is a junior this year and had no interest in the prom. But I get to see him in a suit occasionally anyway. He has, gasp, decided he rather likes wearing a suit! He even insisted that he needed a suit rather than just the blazer and khakis. And he has, finally! Learned to tie his own tie. At almost 6 feet tall, it was getting a bit hard for me to do it for him. For son 2, I told him he has to learn to tie a tie before he can drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently wrote something similar on this very topic.

    Gosh, I almost feel guilty that, with a son, we're getting off easy on the whole prom thing.

    Although, I will say that in preparation for the big night, our son surprised us during our recent trip to Epcot by buying deodorant from Norway ... a $23 purchase which he plans on using tonight, prom night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to retract my earlier entry. It's got to be "Sheila Rae, the Brave" by Kevin Henkes. Can you tell I've been thinking about this all morning?

    ReplyDelete
  9. And suddenly I'm more grateful than ever that I had three boys and only one girl! The title quote reminds me of Sandra Bullock in that movie where she's a cop that has to enter a beauty pageant. But, I have no memory of the actual quote so that's probably not right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So... 2 days later...

    I think the quote is Ann Richards -- Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did but backwards and in high heels.

    and no, I didn't Google. So the attribution may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Around here if you do your hair at home it's because you are poor (us). Girls spend a fortune on going to the hairdresser and getting their hair done. It's rediculous!

    ReplyDelete