Thursday, April 25, 2013

Wheels For Women Approaching 50

SCARY
You know how, occasionally, you are inconvenienced by having to view a small ad atop one of my posts?  Well, those pesky ads have earned me a brand new bicycle.  I did have a bicycle, already, actually -- one of those skinny-tires, turned-over-handlebars type of conveyance that I used to be able to ride, way back when.  But I'm older now, and I've developed a healthy fear of all these stupid squirrels that dash out in front of me on the bike path; also, I'm terrified of the possibility of falling and breaking every bone in my body and being bedridden for 3 months, as my children grow feral and my house becomes worthy of being condemned.  The upshot of which is that I haven't actually ridden my bicycle in almost 10 years.

A decade.

So, last fall, as I tried to jog after my 3 youngest on their bikes on our way to ChikFilA, it occurred to me that I needed to procure a more middle-age-friendly bicycle.  One that doesn't put me way high up in the air, one without a bar that gets in the way should I need to dismount suddenly.

An old lady bike.

Electra Townie 21D - my new ride

 I saw this recommended over at MamaPundit;  see how the pedals are placed forward of the seat, so you don't have to sit as high up?  As soon as I had enough money saved up, I marched over to my local bike shop (with Larry and Susie in tow) to check it out.


Do you know how hard it is to get back on a bicycle after a decade away?  I was shaking.  "C'mon, pedal," Larry hissed in my ear, while the (ridiculously young) bike shop guy stared at me and wondered why the hell I wasn't testing the bicycle already.  "I can't," I hissed back. What saved me was Susie standing there, expectantly, saying, "Try it, Mommy!"  How could I lose face in front of my youngest?  No way.  So I lowered that seat as far down as it would go, and wobbled off into the sunset.


This isn't a paid promotion; I'm just excited about my new bike, and I figure there are other women of a certain age out there that are looking for something similar.  But, hey, if the makers of the Electra Townie want to throw that fun handlebar market basket my way, I totally wouldn't mind.  I think it would complete the old-lady look nicely.

16 comments:

  1. Old lady, my eye. Cruisers are all the rage, lucky for old--I mean, lucky for anyone chic. Nobody wants to look like Lance Armstrong anymore. Where I live it's either uphill or downhill to anywhere I'd like to go, but I think your new bike is darling. Be sure to get a little ring-a-ling bell! (And lights and reflectors and a great helmet and a strong lock, do you hear me young lady?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! My bike was stolen from our driveway last summer..I'm in the market for a new one. This one is fabulous! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a ladies-style bike. My cyclist racing son laughs at me, but I've never been able to swing my leg over the seat like he does. I hope you get the basket! And Jenny's right, cruisers are the rage for young folks too. I was in a beachside college town last weekend and the streets were full of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. envy! I have a Shwinn girls bike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Old ladies rock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was going to say that it's very hipster, but everyone else beat me to it. I have friend who commutes by bike to a job promoting sustainable transportation, and she would totally approve of the bike and the basket. She also has panniers (saddlebags) and a cargo trailer, so your little basket is nothing. Oh, and she highly reccomends pant straps - little velcro straps to keep your pants out of the chain. And yes, she is pushing (hard) on 50. Don't call her a little old lady, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cruisers are definitely in at the moment. I see them everywhere. That being said, this old lady still prefers her roadie bike. Even in my obesity state, I can still swing my leg over the seat and post. When I purchased my last bike, the salesperson was tending to push me towards the cruiser and was totally shocked with an mounted the saddle like a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great bike! When I went back into the workplace after being at home with my kids for twelve years, I also got a bike for commuting--and hadn't ridden a bike since my first pregnancy. I was definitely wobbly on my first few rides, but the skill comes back. I think it's true when they say that you never forget how to ride a bicycle, but that saying needs a qualifier, like "you never *completely* forget how to ride a bicycle."

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bike is terrific! Congrats on your new purchase! And of course a retro-awesome bicycle deserves a BASKET! (will you color-coordinate your bike helmet?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your new bike! With a basket, too! I used to ride a scary bike. I used to live riding around Southern Connecticut. Now I am not sure I could conquer the hills around here (Western PA), even on an Electra Townie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feral children...the horror! Please do get the basket, a bell, reflectors, lights, streamers for the handgrips and a fuzzy seat cover. If you're going to go old lady, go all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My parents (who are in their mid-70s) ride recumbents, and their idea of a nice afternoon ride is around 30 miles. Their all-time one-day record is 82 miles. Don't diss the old folks, they'll leave you choking their dust!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got my old lady bike last summer (for much the same reasons). Mine is deep purple with white trim and white wall tires. My kids bought the handle bar basket for me for my birthday. Mine even has a cargo area over the back fender. I feel like I should wear a floppy straw hat and slim capri pants when I ride it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never given up riding, and it's a thing with hubs so I have been kept in decent bikes over the years. I currently have a Trek, which I love. No matter what kind of bike it is, there is something about being out there with the wind in your hair that makes you feel like a kid again. And who doesn't want that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey at least you're out there!

    ReplyDelete