Saturday, November 03, 2007

Drive Me Crazy

Do I hate this woman, or what? Here I am gimping around, dragging one foot behind me like Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein, and she's 40 weeks pregnant and running marathons? Show-off. It only takes a few women like her to ruin pregnancy for the rest of us.

It was Larry's turn to take Theo on the road today. In fact, I think it is going to be his turn from now on. We'll settle for traditional gender role assignments here - I give birth to the kids, and Larry teaches them how to drive. That's fair, isn't it? And, you know, that Lamaze breathing that everyone learns at childbirth classes that doesn't do squat when you are actually in labor? It does come in useful when you are in the passenger seat and the "baby" is driving. I sure hope Larry paid attention to how to do it.

Well, it's time to set half the clocks in the house back and then get distracted and leave the others as is and be really, really mixed up when we get up tomorrow morning. Maybe we just shouldn't bother to change any of them until tomorrow. But then we'll get up in the morning and ask each other, "Did we set them back last night or not?" It isn't easy, living with early-onset dementia.

By the way, I have no idea what's going on with some of the comments on this blog - I just found this whole page of comments I must have missed, and I don't know how. So if you're thinking I was ignoring you, you're right - but I didn't mean to. And now I'm having a hard time typing while trying to listen to Garrison Keillor, so I have to go. I do have some of my priorities in order, you know. And listening to A Prairie Home Companion outranks goofing off in the blogosphere. Unfortunately, reading Curious George for the millionth time comes in dead last, which could explain why Rachel is still sitting on the couch waiting for me to read to her and tuck her in. Bad Mommy, bad!

14 comments:

  1. If I hadn't read this post tonight, I would have TOTALLY FORGOTTEN TO TURN BACK (Forward?) (Back?) (ruh-roh) THE CLOCK.

    Thank goodness for bloglines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately my three youngest have been demanding "Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog" as the bedtime story. I have developed a twitch because I have read it so many times. The silver lining in this cloud is that my four year old twins have it memorized and so it often turns into bedtime theater. Easier for me, which I am all for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I was the only nerd who loved A Prairie Home Companion! You go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you will be thrilled to know that the Woman you hate from the marathon...won. Yes she gave birth less than a year ago... what nerve!

    I so loved my extra hour of sleep today. I love falling back :)

    http://momoftheyear-not.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Lamaze does work. Doing it gave my husband something to do rather than ask me if it really hurt every five minutes - and of course using it for your driving lesson idea. The only thing better than having the dad do the driver ed is enrolling the kids in driver ed classes. Let some perfect stranger have all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turning back the clock makes for the LONGEST day of the year. We were up so early that we decided to go to an earlier mass, and then when it was over we were hungry for lunch even though it was 10:30 but our stomachs were saying otherwise. Then, by 6 p.m. my toddler has a major meltdown because, really, it's his bedtime, but we have to keep him up to get him on this new time. Whew! And then there is Daylight Savings Time . . . don't get me started on that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is completely fair. I am not a fan of teaching the young to drive. I am far too high strung for that. Oh and another Garrison fan...well I can tell I love you a little already. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bia, it sounds as though you were spying on our day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok that woman makes me want to say many many bad things that I shouldn't say, LOL. Cant she just sit and veg and eat and complain like most of the other pregnant women in the world? UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O.K., That woman is officially sick: OCD maybe. The only marathons I did during pregnancy were the hurling marathons with my trusty exercise equipment, the porcelain bowl. It's a pretty good workout but you've got to be careful and stretch ahead of time, my sister actually broke her tail bone doing this exercise! As for DST I really really don't get it. I'm all for my uncle's plan of boycotting it, or moving to AZ where it doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, seriously? No one is going to comment on the picture of that woman? She looks like a starving child in a third world country. I just want to throw her on the ground and force feed her french fries and chocolate shakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am such a nerd (and my dh too) that we actually went to see A Praire Home Companion LIVE. How's that for nerd of the year?
    On that marathon runner, forget her! did you see her legs as she crossed the finish line? c'mon now, even in my saddest most pathetic days I wouldn't want my legs to look like that!
    We've been in AZ for over 5 years now and having no DST is definitely better!

    ReplyDelete