Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I Don't Want To Live Like A Refugee....

Library, thrift store, bakery, Target, bagel shop, bookstore - can you tell I didn't want to be in my own house yesterday? I needed to escape the torn-up kitchen and the refrigerator in my dining room - you know, when the going gets tough, the wimps run away. That's me.

Luckily, Theo wasn't put off by the mess and made us a decent dinner (stir-fry chicken with walnuts - excellent); luckily, because our sodium counts are going through the roof, what with being on the road all weekend and being kitchen refugees yesterday and Monday. I do like that boy. So now I just have to get the house ready for guests this evening. Which means, I take the myriad items lying around the main floor and throw them either upstairs or downstairs, close all the bedroom doors, wipe down the powder room, yell at all the kids non-stop not to leave their stuff around, and voila! I'm company-ready.

Martha Stewart secretly wishes she had my touch.

Maybe I should clean the oven, too, since a perfect stranger will be using it and may not understand why I leave charred bits of food on the bottom as burnt offerings to the kitchen gods. Oh, and the inside of the refrigerator is pretty gross. But I'll just blame the kids. There. Problem solved.

I don't know how Dawn had the nerve to let those TV cameras in, but I love her for it.

13 comments:

  1. Will you come over and work your magic on my house next? I need some straightening up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! You sound like me, running around screaming at everyone right before company comes over. I try so hard to clean the house and then act like it's not a big deal when the company leaves and my house is a reck again. :) Dawn was brave!! Hope you have fun with pampered chief. I love the messuring cups and the pizza stone, and well, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I love a two story home: all clutter gets shoved upstairs, leaving the downstairs immaculate! Also, remember "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding"? Well, it's windex for me . . . shiny surfaces seconds before guests walk through the door!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when I clean up and get things model home perfect for a showing or something and the kids just randomly drop things. Grrr....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always say my kitchen is one grocery bag from clean. Sweep everything off the counters and table into a grocery bag and chuck it in a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The master bedroom is the "Stash and Dash" room (stash it in the room and dash back out!)at our house, and the door is ALWAYS closed when company comes. I also wouldn't suggest ever peeking in several of the kitchen cupboards, or the hallway closet (or any of the kids' closets either). LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you think. When in doubt, blame the kids. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one around here with a cruddy oven. I just let it go because I hate the cleaning stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel exhausted just reading your list - I only managed three 'chores' today, so you're well ahead of the curve.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wanna come straighten up my house next? Maybe I should just get rid of the kids.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. angela and patty - I can barely keep up with my own, so forget it.

    bia - I run around with a box of baby wipes. I clean everything with baby wipes.

    sue - kids have a lot of nerve, don't they?

    fannie mae and leah - yup, we've got the same system.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good move to desert the disaster scene. I get depressed looking at the messes like that and would rather not see the project in progress. Nice cleaning tricks too. I love those lemony smelling wipes for that type of thing. They are fast, disposable and leave a nice clean smell about the place. And the son cooking? I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck on keeping everything clean and picked up. Can't wait to hear about the party, hope it goes well. I love Pampered Chef parties!! I haven't had one in awhile though, I would have to clean my oven...lol

    http://momoftheyear-not.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I blame the kids. and I found out a good solution for the fridge when the light burned out. :)

    ReplyDelete