Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Oh, Hell - You Bet!

I managed to escape to our neighborhood Bunko game yesterday evening, despite Larry's sudden home improvement attack. (Or, perhaps, because of it - who knows?) We needed more players, so we recruited 2 husbands (not mine - he was home, wreaking yet more destruction upon our erstwhile habitable kitchen). We still didn't have enough people, so the 2 guys, rebelling against the feminine aura of Bunko, dragooned us into playing a card game called "Oh, Hell." Which would have been a lot of fun, if I hadn't lost. Badly. Never play someone else's game - not when there's money involved, anyway.

So, anyway, after the game and drinks and food, I invited people over to our house so they could witness just what "irreconcilable differences" look like. Larry was still hacking away with his crowbar and some weird sort of electric saw that he had just bought that day at Home Depot. He really needed it, he said, to do the job right. Hey, I really need a chef and a maid to do my job right, but is he spending money on that? I don't think so.

I'll give him credit - he stayed up half the night, and he worked in the kitchen this morning before he went to work. Apparently, he does have some sense of urgency about this project. Maybe he even detects that I am unhappy. But, of course, that theory doesn't explain why he would leave the refrigerator in the dining room for the foreseeable future, now does it?

It's that time - baths, dinner, books, bed, go!

8 comments:

  1. Loved the illustration on "irreconcilable differences". I have so lived this experience. Home improvement is never what I want, when I want it but at the most inconvenient times on the project I wasn't dying for yet. That or wasting money on neat things to show he loves us that I really didn't need or want or have the way to afford actually! Next time I'll have to take a picture. Glad you survived the trip and the laundry. The only thing worse than doing laundry on vacation is not having anywhere to do laundry on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I almost spit out my drink laughing at the chef and maid bit!!!!!!! ROFL! Isn't that the truth, though??? Good luck getting all that kitchen stuff finished... And you'll have to do a video demo of what 'oh hell' is. I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bunko. Not the game, just the excuse to get out.

    I used to have a maid. Well, not a maid, but a housecleaner. She came in twice a week to scrub the bathrooms, fold the laundry and mop the floors. Sniff. I still dream about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shellie - Amen, sister!

    leah - I never really figured out the game, which explains why I lost so badly

    sue - 'tis better to have loved and lost....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been invited to my neighborhood Bunko game, but I keep resisting. The game sounds fun, but I have heard rumors that it is mainly an excuse for heavy drinking and that, on more than one occasion, breasts have been exposed. Now, I like a stiff drink as much as the next girl, but I'm all about keeping my shirt on. Maybe Bridge is the answer.

    Thanks for commenting, and I look forward to coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know? I kind of got that "oh dear, another illustration of why I'm psychotic" feeling while reading this. Because, um, I'm usually the one who starts these things. I think it's a manifestation of my shyness--I once started retexturing our bathroom when my husband was on the way to the airport to pick up a guest.

    I hope he gets it all pretty in time for the pampered chef thing. At least there you know someone else will be doing the cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I belong to a girls' night out/Bunco group (we spell it with a "c"; have we been spelling it wrong the whole time?!) for five years now. We get together once a month, each of us taking turns as hosts. We have loads of fun. Also, why is it that husbands always seem to need a new tool with every project, but don't understand it when we need a new outfit for a party? It boggles the mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG you are cracking me up! Sorry about the new game...you could always pimp your husband out to earn the money back. Remember he only keeps 10%

    ReplyDelete