Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Wherein I Fail The Prairie Test

400 dollars, people - that's what it took. A nice young gentleman from the pest company visited to explain what they do about eradicating stinkbugs, and by the end of his spiel I would have signed over way more than that to have him fumigate my attic and spray my soffets.

Take that any way you want to. But, you know? There's something downright sexy about a guy saying, "We can take care of all these insects for you today, Ma'am." I almost swooned.

And then the guy he sent over gave me a patented box to catch my pantry moths in. These exterminators sure know how to make a gal feel special.

The AC is fixed, too. I'm sure the neighbors are beginning to talk: "Look at that, Larry away for 3 days and she has all sorts of men coming and going..." What can I say? I'm an easy mark. I bet next time Larry isn't going to leave the checkbook lying around while he is away. Foolish man.

When the dad's away, the wives will pay? Something like that....

**************

My Followers number has sneaked up to 196. If any of you read me regularly but haven't declared yourselves a Follower, would you mind helping me reach the nice round number of 200? It's not important, in the larger scheme of things, of course. But misery loves company; and if I have to have this horrible stinkbug smell on my hands (literally) from a traumatic incident with a still-live stinkbug in Rachel's room this evening (and yes, I completely terrified the girls with my screaming - I'm not proud of it), it makes me feel better to know that I have a full 200 people who will hear about my misfortune.

Ma Ingalls, I'm not. Anyone else remember where she calmly shakes the locusts out of her voluminous skirts? Gah.

I just made myself sick, looking up pictures of stinkbugs for this post. Forget it. I need a drink.

18 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on this. I would pay any amount of money to an exterminator who promised to rid me of anything that creeps or crawls. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you have another man over to install your dishwasher for you? Or did you get that done already? I am so BEHIND in my blogreading, gah!

    Stink bugs aren't so bad but the big hairy wolf spiders we get send me into total hysterical meltdown mode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind stink bugs, but I don't get swarms. We have swarms of ladybugs, but, I mean, they're LADYBUGS. Too cute, even in swarms. Ants drive me nuts. And when I fished a fully engorged tick out of the washer (they don't drown, you know) but had no idea what it was so I was holding it and only realized I'd been flicking the mouthparts when it started to stretch its legs out? Well. I'm surprised you didn't hear me shrieking from there.

    Keep spraying vinegar for the moths anyway. The boxes only attract the adults, if I'm correctly picturing what you've got. They just let you know you still have them. It won't kill any eggs or larvae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I flushed double-digits last night; tonight I only did in 4 of the bestards. I'm *this close* to begging you for your exterminator's number!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wish is my command. I'm officially a follower. (Although wasn't it more exciting when I was a secret admirer?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like you. You're funny. Deal made: I'll get you to 200.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More than 200 now; how about aiming for 250? It should be easy - there must be loads of us lurkers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have stinkbugs in these parts, but we make up for it with all the other freaky creepy-crawlies that inhabit the tropics.

    Good luck with those pantry moths and the men.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, but could Ma Ingalls simultaneously write a blog post, plan a trip to target, and tweet about both? I highly doubt it. Your move, Ingalls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll have to let us know if the exterminator works. Common wisdom around here is that none of the poisons, etc. work on them, and all you can do is seal up all the cracks in your house. Hah! I also read today that dropping them in soapy water kills without releasing the scent that attracts more. Since there was one in my CAR yesterday, I'm thinking "kill them all!" is a reasonable strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know your feeling. I've been known to shamelessly kiss all kinds of men flush on the lips. Plumbers, electricians, garage mechanics, computer techs and even (gasp!) the men who delivered my new washing machine a year ago.
    Mr. D's pretty worthless on the home repair front, so other men get our money AND my undying gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw your comments on The Empress' site - great support. She is a great writer and needs some love right now! Sorry about your stink bugs - we are always dealing with some invasion or other, our latest was squirrels nesting in our decking!!!!

    I see you are already over 200 but would love to follow if you feel like returning the favor as I am still nowhere near my 200!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got a chance to respond to your comment here: http://thirstybabies.blogspot.com/2010/03/he-also-colored-all-over-that-table.html.

    You're past 200 now but I think I'll follow you anyway! You were my first favorite over at the WC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean. There's something about a strong, confident man telling you, "Yes Ma'am, I'll take care of it right away. Don't you worry none." Then they follow it up with, "There, that should do it. You call me right away if you have any more problems."

    Who cares if you have to pay them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Psstt....while Larry's gone, what about a new dishwasher! (glances around nervously!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure do miss having my hubby home to kill bugs while telling me stories about sleeping on the roof of his house in the Summer as a kid, with bats, spiders, and other pests around him. It doesn't impress me, but, it makes me feel better about screeching for him to come to my rescue when I see a bug/lizard/other abhorrent freak of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got some stuff at southern states yesterday that is supposed to kill stink bugs and other stuff that should kill roaches. Maybe I will have a chance soon to try it. First to shovel through all the mail on hubby's desk, dresser, etc and find the stuff for the taxes, as they need to be done by next thursday?

    Hubby thinks if I find all the papers and he installs the software, the taxes should just be done, no other work is required. Maybe, if he had left last years installed or at least remembered where he saved them, I would not have to find the missing key ring, so I could get the kids social security cards out of the safe deposit box. I have no idea what any ones number is, though my dr has them in their records, why I don't know?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Since 449 people follow you in Google Reader, you ought to make 200 no problem!

    ReplyDelete