Friday, April 30, 2010

Happy Days!

Larry brought Theo home from his freshman year of college today. And, yes, that would have been my husband and I tap dancing in our parking lot this afternoon whilst singing "Happy Days Are Here Again!" You would have been equally exuberant to have your 19-year-old babysitter/bug-killer/stir-fry chef back home again for a few months. Admit it.

Not sure how Theo feels about the situation, however. I do hope he sticks around.

David, our resident vegetarian, is feeling a tad glum. Due to Theo's dairy allergy, David and I had to scour our refrigerator clean of any traces of the dairy products he has come to know and love over the past 9 months. Good-bye, lasagna fixin's! Fare thee well, quesadilla ingredients! Adieu, beloved shredded mozzarella! It was an emotional afternoon, to put it mildly. But at least I now have a fighting chance to shed the 10 pounds I've gained since Theo went to college last August.



I have no idea whether or not this is a decent rendition of the song - I don't have earbuds with me (I'm goofing off here in Starbucks). I decided not to risk embedding the Barbra Streisand version of it, though. You're welcome.

9 comments:

  1. Wow--he gets out early.

    Life without dairy--that is true love! It is wonderful to have them home again--at least for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats. Must be a crazy feeling to have your oldest come home after their first year in college. Like, whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know just how you feel!!! Isn't it great to have the baby bird back in the nest again???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know of several freshmen coming home this week. Parents were grinning happily tonight at an event I attended over this very thought.

    Me, I put my husband on a plane this morning for 5 days of TDY. I keep telling myself I will accomplish a great deal in his absence. So far I've only made a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dairy is not our friend and yet I CAN'T STOP EATING IT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy time with your son! Not exactly the same, but my missionary son living in Indy and my Army son living in Hawaii will be home together the first week of June and I can hardly contain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing the same dance because my college babysitter's due to arrive any day. Hello, weekly date nights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 03, 2010

    How wonderful to have your firstborn back home! Even if you do have to go dairy free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first visit to your blog, and I am very curious about how Theo managed with the dairy allergy at college. I have a high school sophomore who is deathly allergic to milk/dairy too.

    ReplyDelete