Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chocolate: Friend or Foe?

Larry has the habit of leaving what he considers relevant articles up on the screen for me to see in the morning. Thus, this article greeted me before breakfast today:

Chocolate lovers 'are more depressive', say experts

Chocolate eaters tend to be more depressed? Really? Look, take away my chocolate and I guarantee you will see what "depressed" looks like. And, despite its misleading headline, the article itself backs up my militant chocolate-consuming stance by acknowledging that this is a classic chicken-and-the-egg situation; i.e., it could be that depressed people reach for chocolate to alleviate their feelings of sadness and purposelessness.

I heart York Peppermint Patties, ergo sum...

This latter view is bolstered by an earlier BBC article entitled Chocolate Makes For Happy Babies. Well! That settles it for me. And since those democratically-elected tyrants in Congress who dared to pass health reform have not yet made a move towards restricting our medicinal chocolate supply, I will make sure to hoard as much chocolate happiness as I can before we all become cacao-less government welfare slaves.

Or something like that....

In the meantime, I think I'll leave this article up on the screen for my coffee-addicted husband's perusal. I mean, I'm sure he wants to know that he is at risk of hallucinations from his 8-cup-a-day habit. Of course that knowledge might depress him...

Want a Peppermint Patty, honey? It's happy food.



[Frowny Face photo credit: this baseball blog]
[Happy Face photo credit: Home School Image blog]

12 comments:

  1. Wow. The majority of chocolate lovers are females, and the majority of depression sufferers are female. Hmmmmm...which came first? The depression, or the chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate?
    Friend.
    Definitely Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now i want a peppermint pattie. and there are none.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found one in my purse tonight - I lead a charmed life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I just looked in my purse... no Peppermint Patties, but I did find a bar of dark chocolate. Obviously I stashed it there for an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This afternoon I ate the rest of the dark chocolate bar you sent me. It was an uplifting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's your proof that it's the ultimate anti-depressant -- uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dark chocolate. It's full of good things and makes you feel good about taking good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A day without chocolate is like a day without _________! In my mind, it's not even a day worth getting up for if I don't have the promise of at least tasting chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that article was from BBC.com--everyone knows they're not "a real news source!" Hacks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Moley. You mean by continuing to eat Reese's and upping my coffee intake, I can be both happy and hallucinating? Things are looking up.

    ReplyDelete