Saturday, April 18, 2009

As The Food Turns: Beyond Belief

Look - I'm not proud of it, okay? It just...happened. What with a birthday, and Easter, and Uncle Matt visiting, things got a little wild and out of control, all right?

That thing lying in front looking like nothing so much as a bound and gagged corpse is some celery that, pushed to the back of the fridge, froze to death. Reality is not pretty.

Behind it you see practically my entire collection of storage containers (aren't you lucky?). There is still a rectangular one in the fridge, holding food that is not yet past its prime. I'm sure you will be viewing it next week. On the left:

  1. homemade chicken noodle soup, with carrots - I have no memory of when we ate this. It was a long time ago.
  2. a full container of leftover ground beef and peas (with rice), a delicious and easy recipe I found in 365 Ways To Cook Chinese. I don't think the title means that the foodstuffs contained therein should be held in the fridge for 365 days, however.
  3. a small piece of leftover grilled Ginger Lime chicken - one of our favorite meals, but not favorite enough not to be wasted, I guess. (recipe over at Saving Dinner)
  4. What's this?! More ground beef and peas? Don't ask.
  5. Scrambled eggs
On the right:
  1. Ground beef and peas
  2. Leftover blue frosting from that sorry excuse for a birthday cake I made for Brian - normally I save this for a year to use on someone else's cake and then I throw it out; but I think this time I will be a little more proactive.
  3. Egg salad - there's been a lot of that going around lately, what with dying 24 hard-boiled eggs last Saturday
  4. Gosh, this container looks empty, doesn't it? Empty, as in someone maybe should have washed it out instead of placing it back in my refrigerator? But wait! There is one teeny-tiny sliver of raw red onion left from Brian's b'day BBQ - very teeny-tiny, but large enough to enable someone around here to rationalize its being saved. Maybe it was for sentimental reasons...
  5. an essentially empty cream cheese container - see #4 re: sentiment.
Th-th-th-that's all, folks! I'm supposed to head outside and supervise the outdoors clean-up of our townhouse cluster. Because, you know, I have nothing else to do...

17 comments:

  1. First off, that "365 Ways to Cook Chinese" title ought to have "food" at the end of it, no? Otherwise it's just a little scary if you happen to BE Chinese. If you ask me.

    We have our own little fridge rituals, mostly involving "should we toss this now or put it in the fridge and throw it out later?" And I JUST realized my husband just went to the dump and did not clean out the fridge first. Not my fault, the baby was asleep on me. ALL HIS FAULT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't the celery thaw and you can use it again? ;-)

    and where do all these containers come from when you said a few days ago that there weren't any???
    franzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh, ground beef with peas x 3.
    ****gagging sound*****
    my 3 most un-favorite foods all mixed together, throw in some Brussels sprouts and you have a torture device

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS post was what I meant by the empty mayo jar. I am embarrassed to admit I look forward to them. Your left overs are fascinating to me.

    PS peas are yucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lifestartsnow - I meant, I didn't have any food storage containers left to use, because they were all in my refrigerator holding expired food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of ground beef and peas. Maybe you should half the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooooooh! gotcha. but wait, you don't have more containers for food storage? how come i have a gazillion though i only cook for one???

    i admit, it's a secret obsession. at least all have lids that fit

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooooh! gotcha. but wait, you don't have more containers for food storage? how come i have a gazillion though i only cook for one???

    i admit, it's a secret obsession. at least all have lids that fit

    franzi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you sure your family likes ground beef and peas? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peas and rice, yes. Ground beef and rice, yes. All three together? No way...

    Oh, erm, I mean. I'm sure it was delicious... I can't imagine why you have three containers of it left over...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I gave you the Sisterhood Award here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think i need to clean out my fridge now. mine's infinitely worse than yours, complete with some nasty chicken and mac'n'cheese dish that j-bear made (yes, we keep kosher-- i don't want to talk about it).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ground beef = good
    Rice = okay
    peas = yucky
    ------------------
    Despite my personal opinion of the casserole, I'm sure my family would have eaten it up. Maybe you just need more teenage boys at your house?

    I hate it when my celery freezes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry but the celery pic made me snort laff and then Amy's Chinese comment made me snort laff again and now hubby wants to know what I am reading: sorry again, but I don't share you and man I tell ya I can't get any peace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was getting a nervous twitch waiting for this post.

    I threw out some icing from my fridge recently, I used it to ice a friends 1st birthday cake. That sweet little friend is turning 4 soon. I considered icing some cupcakes for playgroup with it so it wasn't wasted but thought better of it when I realised when it was originally from... It was pink, I have 2 boys, I don't have a need for pink icing very often. I wont go into detail about the manky old chicken frame I found in the fridge, it's sitting there still and waiting for bin day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ground beef with PEAS? Excuse me, but where did you get this combo from? Hmmmmmm---I am thinking that if you have two containers of it,...not many people ate it the first time....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have discovered a use for excess frosting left from cakes (assuming my husband doesn't just eat it- he regards the cake as an irrelevant intrusion into the frosting experience anyway)- and that is, I spread it on toast. Think about it...jelly= fruit-flavored sugar, frosting= vanilla-flavored sugar. (This assumes I haven't had any cookies to spread it on, an indulgence I've had to severely restrict on account of I'm not good at stopping before I run out of cookies.)

    ReplyDelete