Friday, April 02, 2010

The Age of Innocence

There is a bevy of little girls in my neighborhood, all near Rachel's age. They trooped into my house yesterday afternoon, sweetly alike with their pigtail braids and their hair ribbons. Clutching their American Girl dolls (well, all except Rachel, who has repeatedly refused my offer of an American Girl knock-off), they headed down to the playroom, little Susie trailing in their wake with her cheap-o baby doll. I continued with my housework/blogging, reveling in the fact that Rachel was finally playing with dolls (albeit not her own). It had distressed me to see her former lack of interest in this little-girl pursuit, particularly as I remember so many happy hours of my own youth spent playing Barbies with my friends.

Just forget about the swingin' Barbie country camper thing, okay?

Where was I? Oh, yes - Downstairs later to do some laundry, I paused briefly in the doorway of the playroom. The girls were all sitting in a circle with their dollies. "Tea party?" I chirped as I glanced inside, and then I stopped. Did a doubletake, as it were...

Each doll (including Susie's innocent little babe-in-arms) had a pile of poker chips in front of her. Rachel was dealing. It was a veritable American Girls gambling den.

You can find all the accessories in the upcoming catalog, I'm sure - visors, cigars, maybe even a mini-print of that picture with the doggies playing pool. The merchandising possibilities are legion. Any suggestions?


[Photo Credit: What American Girl Doll]

21 comments:

  1. Oh, that's hysterical. And did you keep a poker face when you saw that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patent it today. Why should American Girl make all the money?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crazy about that kid...and I'm glad she is yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that is awesome.

    Although, I played Barbies until I was a bit too old. How do I know this? One day, my friends and I jumped up and ran outside, leaving our pile of Barbies all naked and in various stages of---um---the act, all for my friend's mom to find.

    At least poker is only PG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, this is TOO HILARIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flask? Dice? Gigolos?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome! Just when you thought things were "normal"....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her. Can she come live with me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ***Each doll had a pile of poker chips in front of her.***

    I laughed so hard at that. Talk about not expecting the punch line!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's funny. THis is all your fault, too, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kit's gotta win some of that money back that her dad lost in the Depression.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see amazing things in her future! This girl is unique!

    Can't you just see the letters to corporate American Girl?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a hoot! And what does it say about the State of Affairs in our country when a poker party will probably result in less animosity and concealed weapons than a Tea Party? (could NOT resist, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that's just the girl empowered idea that American Girl Doll hopes to nurture.

    ~wink~

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG - too funny! I'd love to have seen a picture of that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is simply hilarious.

    I have four sons, and how I got the American Girl catalog, I'll never know. Someone's idea of a joke, I suppose.

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "It was a veritable American Girls gambling den." (grin!)

    My girls are 6 & 8, although neither of my girls like dolls. They prefer Pet Shops and lizards and bats.

    Go figure.

    I love your blog humor, I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My girls are all about the American Girl dolls... and thankful to yours for a new wholesome activity to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete