Monday, January 09, 2017

Crossing A Line

Today, I did something I swore I would never do. I went to Target (no, that's not it, I do that all the time), where I bought 2 storage containers specifically designed to go UNDER THE BED. For my yarn.

It's always been a point of pride, you see, that - no matter how cluttered the house has gotten - I've never fallen so low as to be storing items under our beds. No, I always left that space clear, so I could easily Swiffer the dust bunnies and could climb into bed without worrying about stubbing a toe against something. My counters may have been covered and my bookshelves overfull, but that space beneath the bed remained pristine and, well, inviting.

I never actually hung out under there, but I could have if I WANTED to.

This, my friends, is what defeat looks like.


So, yes, in a desperate attempt to clean up my room before the bathroom contractors arrive tomorrow (and maybe even free myself from the tyranny of the yarn dresser), I filled up those 2 underbed (wheeled!) containers, one with bulky yarn and the other with worsted, and rolled them beneath my Hemnes bed frame. I'm not proud of that fact, but there it is.

Much to my surprise, my yarn dresser is still almost full (I had forgotten that my roving collection resides in there, too, along with a pleasing amount of sock yarn). So I don't know if I have completely solved my problem. However, my bedroom is no longer littered with baskets of various sizes, all holding yarn; so that's a start, I guess.

I'm betting NONE of the above makes any sense to a non-knitter. Don't worry, it shouldn't. You're all out there living your sane, yarn-free lives, meaning you don't waste valuable hours of your life rummaging through your stuff trying to find the right-size needle or the yarn you've been saving for your latest project. I bet you all even have time to talk to your spouses and interact with your offspring. And that's a good thing.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be knitters, I guess is what I'm saying. That's all.




11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. This makes no sense whatsoever. If I weren't looking for needles or casting on the next project, what *would* I be doing? Watching television? Housework? Really, that's crazy talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize. All this decluttering has made me not quite right in the head.

      Delete
  2. Bah! You say defeat... I say --->>> room for more yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you, this is the road to perdition.

      Delete
  3. Yarn storage is the perpetual challenge. In my case, it often leads to both "where in the world is that?" and "hey, I forgot I had that! Must knit it NOW!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your obsessive pursuit deserves its own dedicated furniture. It's not like you went into a store one day and said, "I want to start knitting. I need 2 needles, a skein of yarn and a dresser." But having appropriated a dresser to this pursuit, you might want to set a limit to the yarn acquisition. Mike Royko, Chicago journalist, had a rule for grocery shopping - Buy anything you want, but you have to finish it all before you go back to the grocery store. Consume the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor told me to include more fiber in my diet, but she never promised that it would taste good. But I put hot sauce on everything.
      I hope that a yarn dresser (or yarn under bed storage boxes) has some further organization principle than "it's yarn." And the under bed boxes sounded like they were 2 certain groups of yarn. Do you have some way of organizing the needles? Or do you just throw them in one of the drawers?

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure if I feel better about my own crafting clutter or not. Because you know, stubbed toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm solving my yarn stash problem by knitting anti-Trump slogans and use them to yarnbomb my city, and also to take with me to the Women's March on Washington and display a few yarn bombs in DC. Otherwise, my leftover yarn lives in plastic bags next to my bed. It's almost exclusively fingering weight though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. swap out yarn for fabric and that's me lately. We've had under the bed storage forever since we hardly have any closets.

    ReplyDelete