Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cinderella Story

Miss me? I fell asleep at 7:30 with the toddler last night. I woke up at 10:30 when Larry came to bed, and I started crying and saying I had to get up. "That's okay, honey," he said. "I finished the kitchen clean-up; you can just go back to sleep." (Yes, he is nice.)

"You don't understand," I sobbed. "I had 4 points left to eat today. That's 2 Twix bars. I have to get up and eat them now, before the points go away."

"Let me get this straight," said Larry. "At midnight, the Twix bars turn into a pumpkin?"

Essentially, yes. They did. Because I was too tired (from starvation, maybe?) to get out of bed and unwrap their wonderful deliciousness and consume them. Damn. And I missed Knit Night, also.

I'm trying to break Rachel of her complaining habit, or at least get her to complain in a voice that is not high-pitched and whiny. She was kvetching nonstop at breakfast this morning (reason? we were having raisins in the oatmeal, instead of jelly), so I sent her out of the kitchen, telling her she could come back when she stopped whining. She didn't return. Then she complained the rest of the morning that she was hungry.

Somehow, I don't think I won that one. And my ears hurt.

Theo had to change a poopy diaper yesterday while I was out, and he was not happy about it. But I think it's good for the teenage males to be reminded every once in a while what exactly being enamored of a pretty girl can lead to. Lord knows, it happened to his father.

I've updated my blogroll a bit, in case any of you desperate enough to land here need something decent to read. Enjoy!

23 comments:

  1. Your not putting me on your blog roll in case someone needs something INDECENT to read? Just kidding. I don't even have a blog roll, that's how lazy I am......and good for you having that boy change a nasty diaper - sex ed and abstinence programs can't hold a candle to that deterrent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 points - I so relate. Although that is also why I am not doing Weight Watchers anymore. Good luck with the whining thing. My youngest is seven and still a champion whinner. Hey, maybe you could start the parenting olympics? Longest any parent has held out against a whine., etc., etc.
    It was nice to mind your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BUMMER! And it's always on the nights that you have points left/could go knit that you fall asleep early! Never when you used 'em up by noon and have nothing but re-runs and Celebrity Apprentice to look forward to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you poor dear. Rumbling tummy, whiny child and complaining teenager. If I was a fairy godmother, I'd whisk you away to Knit Night in a calorie-free chocolate covered coach and make the brood sleep from eight at night until ten in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on breaking the complaining habit. If you figure it out, please let me know...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. twix is two points. i need one. and i need one now. i love having points at the end of the day. not that that ever happens to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That poopy diaper thing works on teenage girls, too, sometimes too well! My youngest brother was born when I was 13, and my mom went "Ding! ding! ding! Instant babysitter!" I didn't have a kid until I was 35.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stroke of genius on your part regarding your son and the diaper changing. I was 17 when my sister was born. She had colic. For 3 months. Major reality check.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wake up crying sometimes... just 'cause it means I have to cook again... and do laundry... and listen to whining... ya know :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter has been quite the diva lately too. I wish they wouldn't display the current Happy Meal toys in the case at McDonald's so when she gets the cat she'd never know she might have gotten a coveted bunny instead. WHY do they do that???

    So you can't just save up some points for a binge day or something?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going to bed at 7:30 is actually a great diet tip to cut out evening snacking...

    ReplyDelete
  12. 4 pts left at 7:30 at night--that's almost unheard of. You're a WW rock star!

    Good luck with the whining. I find that it goes away after...never mind. I was dreaming for a moment there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two Twix bars are 4 points? You mean the two inside the one package, right? Two packages for 4 points sounds too good to be true. My heart is pounding just imagining.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i wouldn't cry over lost twix... but maybe snickers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear you on the food thing. I'm not doing Weight Watchers, but am starving nonetheless. I can eat every 3 hours and am contemplating setting alarms in the night for more food consumption. What we don't do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tim does the high pitched complaining sometimes. Makes the ears hurt (the nightly crying of a 2 week old doesn't help either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You mean the points don't carry over to the next day? That seems cruel not to allow stockpiling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha that is so funny that you got up to eat your points! Are they really not transferable???

    I'm glad to hear someone else has a whiner. My youngest ONLY speaks in that whining tone and it drives me bananas. I've tried everything - pretending not to hear until he changes the tone (but he just repeats over and over again), speaking that way myself - oh everything and NOTHING has worked. I suppose there's always a gag??

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so right about kids getting a taste of what it is to be a parent. Have you seen the promos for that show The Baby borrowers? It is high school kids who think they can handle having a baby and the rude awaking they get.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would always rather eat dessert than sleep. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw, the end of an era. I have been delisted...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, SC, I so understand your point tracking. In the future, I would just take the Twix to bed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So he cleaned the kitchen for you but he wouldn't go get you a twix bar? You win some, you lose some.
    Yeah, I never win the whining game either.

    ReplyDelete