Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bye-Bye, Bob

Excitement?  You want excitement?  For the first time in almost 20 years, I went into a hair salon and did NOT have my still-brunette locks hacked off into a sensible, layered Mom-bob - a hair style that is to my generation what the beehive was to my mother and her parenting cohorts.  That's right - realizing that I have (at best) only a few more years of full-bodied, naturally-colored hair left to me, I decided it was best to flaunt my tresses, as it were.  A bold move for this change-averse, new-hairstyle-wary individual, true - but I didn't even flinch.

After leaving the salon, I stopped to gas up the car.  Waiting at the busy station for my tank to fill, I decided to photograph my grand new 'do, complete with its long layers and its trendy slanted bangs, before I wrecked it up by sleeping on it.  So!  I pulled out my cellphone (even my cheap one has a camera nowadays) and took several photos of myself while standing outside the car.  Several, because it took me a while to get the angle right. "Who knows?" I thought.  "Maybe Larry will let me post one eensy-teensy picture of myself with my fantastic new hair on my blog."  (He won't.)

All this to say that, if you stopped by a gas station on your way home today and saw a petite woman with a kick-ass hairstyle posing in front of a gas pump while grimacing at the cellphone camera that her short arms couldn't really hold far enough away from her face and you wondered what the hell she was trying to do?

That was me.

15 comments:

  1. Ooh! Can't wait to see it! I'm all goosebumps!

    Thanks for bringing my crew home today. Becky had a lot of fun playing in the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the new 'do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could see it. I, too, gave up the bob for a few layers. Here's to new hair adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang it, Larry! I'm a-gettin' frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about if you blur out the face so we can still see the kick-ass hairdo?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one scene I am very sorry to have missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do know cell phones can ignite gas vapors, right? Don't gas stations down there have that little sign on the pump telling you to shut it off entirely? (I can't help but add to your list of phobias.)

    I have the "can't be bothered to take the time to get it cut" hair style. It's been well over a year. Luckily I have curly hair and it looks great long and tousled. And now that I've found some curly hair stuff that DOESN'T have wheat protein in it... (doh! to go with your Simpson picture up there!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make a good point about today's MomBob being the beehives of days gone by. Now I am suspicious that I look dated...I bet you look FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Jenn...blur your face so we can see the hair. I have a bob that I am growing out and I need inspiration fast before I decide to bob it again. (Although in my defense, my bob was previously stacked up in the back so it wasn't completely traditional and boring.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH that was you?! Well, your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, blur your face and let us see your hair!!!! the blogosphere demands it!

    as for igniting a gas station with cell phones...it takes about 1000 cell phones to do that. and they need to be in use and not just turned on. so as long as you pick a gas station that is not too busy you should be ok ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a benign neglect kind of gal. Congratulations on having Style. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about e-mailing a picture? Will Larry allow that?

    ReplyDelete