Thursday, December 20, 2007

Of Mice and Men

All over the blogosphere people are discovering that we've gotten away from the true meaning of Christmas by going hog wild on buying presents. Try not to be too shocked.

I'm sounding a tad cranky, aren't I? You know why? That chair is still here. I went to the trouble last night of moving a different chair from the living room into the den, a chair that coordinates beautifully with my new flowery bower of an armchair; and I put the ugly navy thing into the center of the room, in order to emphasize the fact that there really is no place for it in our home. So I come back from Knit Night tonight to find Larry sitting in it, in the middle of the room. Happy. Apparently, subtlety is lost on him.

Plus, I officially have bronchitis. And the house is a mess. And I have people coming over for Christmas dinner.

No mouse poop in my silverware drawers this morning, though. That's a good sign, isn't it? Although now I'm wondering whether I'm suffering from a hanta virus due to ingesting traces of rodent feces from my eating utensils.

And am I obligated to disclose the mouse problem to prospective dinner guests? Doing that would certainly give us a nice, quiet Christmas, now wouldn't it? Or it would at least give me a good excuse to have us eating off of conveniently disposable (and sanitary) paper and plastic. That may just be the silver lining to this rodent infestation.

12 comments:

  1. Did you know they actually make plastic silverware that looks like real silverware? http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-Heavyweight-Silver-Disposable-Flatware/dp/B000JHGQKW
    And there is nothing more festive than a Christmas paper plate. The idea is to RELAX on Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do make some really cool plastic forks. They look silver, Wal-Mart has them too. I hate mice. We had four dead ones in our garage. I made my husband hunt for them. I hate mice!! We live in the middle of a field so we are destined to have them. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO! Just wash them extra well and move on.

    You don't need anymore stress right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you actually get the mouse, though? Cuz otherwise.... well, he'll be back. But only after you've already cleaned the drawer and washed all the silverware. They're smart that way...

    Hm. I'm going to go check out Deb's silverware suggestion now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the silverware suggestion! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I second Jen. Just wash 'em in super hot water. Take care of yourself. Rest. Hot tea..or a hot toddy... fuzzy slippers, a funny book. Be good to yourself...'cause we all know, no one else will be
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the mouse problem is the perfect excuse for paper and plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the love of all that is holy - NEVER use subtlety on a man. It will fail every time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get out the mouse traps and pray they spring when the guests aren't there.
    Get the spring ones, the ones that kill the mouse immediately.
    Trust me on this one. We had an exterminator put out those 'humane' traps that look like a sheet of really sticky fly paper. In the middle of the night, a mouse got stuck on one of them and started screaming.
    I thought it was my newborn in the next room. Terrible, horrifying screaming. I can still hear it.
    I made my husband put the poor thing in a ziploc bag and take it out back.
    You can imagine what happened to the poor thing after that.
    So, I say, the humane thing to do is just kill it and get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bronchitis, ouch! I do hope that you start to feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you feel better soon and your recovery time is much quicker than mine was!

    OMG, I hope you find that mouse, too! ACK!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Santa not get me" is my favorite line of the morning! Yeah, you might back off on the song...especially the part about how he sees you when you're sleeping. That might just put her over the edge. LOL.

    ReplyDelete