Saturday, December 22, 2007

Status Report Updates

News Flash: Larry returned the chair to IKEA this evening. I convinced him that he deserves a better recliner than the one we foolishly brought home. Those of you readers who are hitched know that this whole episode has cost me an untold number of marriage points. Fun note: the woman at the returns desk wanted to charge him 20 percent because the item wasn't in the packaging. He pointed out that the receipt says only to return item with original packaging and then dumped a pile of mangled cardboard and plastic wrap on her desk. A supervisor got involved. Larry won. Life is sweet.

Mice Caught: Zero. And they're well-fed.

Health Report: Poor. I was up with my own croup in the middle of the night. Now I am coughing like a TB patient. In fact, Larry may be bargaining on my imminent demise and simply hiding the chair in the back of his car until such time as he can bring it back in here unimpeded.

Friendships: Shaky. One friend tried to steal my daughter's babysitting services for tomorrow night, the night that Larry and I have been invited out to our first grown-up party in years. And don't tell me she doesn't mean anything sneaky, because she knows she's invited to the same party as us. Another friend is mad that I won't speak to her on the phone due to my painfully swollen vocal cords (although I can do a great Lauren Bacall imitation right now). Apparently, she has something really interesting to share; nevertheless, she refuses to e-mail me. She's retro that way.

On the up side, a third friend gave me some Christmas fudge today. It was delicious. That's right, it's all gone. Considering that I have to return to Weight Watcher's in less than 2 weeks, there's no point in saving it, now is there?

Rachel Mischief Status: Moderate. Larry took the younger 4 kids to a small aviation museum yesterday, where there was some sort of flight simulator that they could try. Rachel was the only one who managed to "fly" the plane, beating out both her older brothers and her father. We are once again making sure to hide our car keys.

Guest Readiness: Near zero. Nothing that a coat of paint in the living room, curtains (same room), a nice piece of art over the couch, and some glassware that actually matches couldn't solve, though. Larry has his work cut out for him. Imagine - if he were single, he'd be idling away his weekend skiing or some such nonsense. Good thing he has a wife to keep him busy.

Interior Decorating Progress: 2 steps forward, one step back. I now have 2 chairs that I like in the den (oh, beloved flowered Ektorp, how I've yearned for thee!), but I need to spend tomorrow moving them to all possible corners to see where they look best. Because I have nothing better to do. Frankly, I'm just so excited to finally have a den, that I cannot help obsessing like this. Larry does not understand.

Good-night, fellow bloggers! Be good, for goodness sake!

6 comments:

  1. Good night, and get better, for goodness sake!

    Heidi

    PS: Yeah about the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Larry! I am sorry for his loss, but...oh well. I'm happy for your victory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate being sick with kids to take care of. I hope you feel better soon! At least you have your new room to nurse yourself better in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome, about the chair! That made me laugh out loud at the image in my head of your hubby dumping all the packaging up on the return counter. LOL!!!

    Get better soon! Tis the season to be sick, for sure! My son's having bathroom issues, I'm experiencing what must be the beginning of a cold, and the baby's nose looks runny today as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. mrs. g. - Don't be too sorry for him. I'm sure he'll be exacting plenty of, um, marital compensation, if you know what I mean.

    maria - Yes, it's delightful; but I keep having to chase the kids out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to reinforce the hide the car keys thing. My boys backed out of the driveway and right into the neighbor's lawn this last year.

    ReplyDelete