Saturday, December 15, 2007

Sick, Sick, Sick

I'm baaaack! Can't get rid of me that easily, you know. I seem to have picked up whatever bug my kids have (without the sore throat, fortunately). I refused to come downstairs this morning and left Larry to deal with everything - the hungry kids, the tile guy, the toddler who pooped for the first time in 3 days (sorry, no pictures). Larry solved the hungry-kid dilemma handily, by letting them eat the candy canes they got from Santa last night. Way to go for a healthy breakfast!

Yes, we saw Santa himself yesterday evening. Our church had its annual Christmas pageant and party, and Anna plays in the ensemble, so we all went, even though half of us were sick and looked pathetic. Of course, if I had been a really good mother, I would have remembered to sign up the little kids to be angels and shepherds; but I guess that will have to wait until next year. The little disease-vectors would have coughed through the whole thing, anyway.

I dragged everyone to the library yesterday - I needed to return our way-overdue books before they put out a warrant for my arrest. I did my best to ensure a local croup epidemic by letting the little girls cough and sneeze all over the kids' section of the library. Then, because the tile guy was here (amazing, but true!), we headed out to Pizza Hut for lunch; they coughed and sneezed all over that place, too. I'm nothing if not thorough.

I fell apart sometime mid-afternoon, but pulled myself together enough to dress everyone for the party. I was hoping to be able to stay home with a sick child or two, but they all insisted on going. So I went, too, and had a pretty good time, while the kids scarfed down quantities of cookies and cake. You know, good nutrition doesn't seem to be job one around here lately.

Tile Guy is still here, working on the kitchen. Tomorrow, too. Which presents a problem in terms of food preparation and consumption. I guess we'll just have to get some more candy canes.

And I'm feeling like crap again - I'm going back to bed.

12 comments:

  1. {{{ HUGS }}}

    Sending tons of healing vibes.

    And secretly glad I am not the only one who ALWAYS ends up with tons of of overdue library books. There must be some kind of organizational gene that I am clearly missing.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I picked up whatever your kids were coughing around. I was in bed all day yesterday and part of today.

    I need more library books too, darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments on my blog. Your blog reminds me of my sister, who passed away six years ago with breast cancer. She was a cross between Erma Bombeck, Mother Teresa and Roseanne (weird combination, I know). The only bad thing I could say about her is that she was a Democrat.

    As for your feeding habits of the kids, I was a single father of two for nearly five years. I admit I fed my kids dinner of popcorn or french onion dip and chips on many occasions and they are none the worse for it. To this day, my youngest daughter (oldest fathered by me) is very creative in her dinner concoctions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the plague too, about as much energy as a damp squib.
    Wish you well soon!
    Cheers


    This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time you have overdue books, play the homeschooling card. It often works...wear your denim jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hugs honey. I can't even imagine what it's like for you. I can barely deal with 1 teenager, a dog, 2 cats and a husband. Add multiple kids in ther, and I'm sure I'd be suitable only for a basket - and hell in a hand-

    y'know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "disease vectors" snort

    Hope you're feeling better soon SC...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes...hope everyone is feeling better today.

    And yeah for the tiles guy. I know, the timing sucks, but won't it be great when he is done? (I'm envious - can you tell?)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the joys of winter!! I hope you all are feeling better soon! Is that your kitchen getting finished? Get well soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a bad time of year for eating... no one around here has eaten a thing that was ever even close to a plant. Oh well. Hope you're all the way better soon!

    ReplyDelete