Sunday, June 23, 2013

Free Time? Moi?

No comments on my spiffy new blog template?  Really?  You folks are a tough crowd.

The kids start band camp tomorrow, and it is Susie's first year.  Meaning (drum roll please), for the first time in over 2 decades, I will have 4 hours each day when I am not in charge of any children.  I find this to be a very exciting prospect.  Suggestions for my unaccustomed free time are welcome.


This is what freedom looks like.


By the way, I have discovered that the sight of my 8-year-old "baby" carrying a half-size violin in a very business-like fashion is enough to melt even my heart, hardened though it may be by mealtime whining, sibling bickering, and teenage surliness.  The challenge, of course, is to maintain that sentimental feeling through 4 weeks of beginning violin practice...


[Violin image: Violin Graphics]

10 comments:

  1. New blog template is very pretty!

    If you have violin questions don't hesitate to ask. (Half size is so cute! In my store we rent down to 1/32 size, and the smallest one I have just for the adorableness of it is a 1/64.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 24, 2013

    I like the new look too. My 7 year old is still on the 1/4 size. It does melt the heart. But it is hard to keep him practicing. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a new look ... four hours of free time ... whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having trOuble reading the blog as the font looks to be about a 7 pt. It was fixed the other day.

    You'll find those four hours speed by faster than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four hours is just long enough to take a good soak in the tub and paint your toenails, if you're into that sort of thing. Or, if you're like me, you'll just wind up cleaning the house and running errands and maybe painting one of the rooms. I hear what you say about the violin thing, though. My 8yo daughter carries a 3/4 size. To be fair, she's huge, but still. I think back to the days when she had a 1/10, and it just makes my bottom lip quiver involuntarily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes, bubble bath...a good read...or you might actually finish cleaning out that drawer you've been trying to neaten up. Any of the above with no interruptions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new look. If I had 4 uninterrupted hours right now I would sleep or watch something other than NickJR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time back since before you changed it up -- and yes, I love the new summer-y, citrus-y blog design! Although I'm really distracted by the remembrances of my very first free time when my last baby went elsewhere for a few hours every day...

    Thanks for the reminder that I need to buy him a baritone. School-year rentals don't let you practice all summer and he says he wants to practice! (Knock me over with a bottle of valve oil)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your new template! Ah, I am nostalgic for those tiny instruments too, especially Seamus' first bass, which wasn't much bigger than a cello.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup. Nice new look. Bloggers ARE a tough crowd!

    Your little one sounds adorable.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete