Monday, June 24, 2013

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Well!  After I dropped the girls at band camp today, I decided to celebrate my first day of freedom by taking an 8-mile bike ride.  Then I came home, showered, and cleaned the bathrooms. 

Naturally, I spent the rest of the day sitting around and feeling virtuous.  After all, there is only so much productivity one gal can handle.  But I'm thinking I won't have much of a problem adjusting to an empty nest when the time comes.  In case any of you were wondering...

Did I mention that Susie woke up at 5:45 this morning, from sheer excitement?  I could have wept.  Larry took one for the team by getting up and giving both girls (yes, Rachel was also up by 6) a ridiculously early breakfast .  I can't believe I used to be a morning person.

Books!  How old-fashioned of me...

That's all I've got, folks.  Apparently, a life of childless leisure does not lend itself to interesting blog posts.  I'll spend tomorrow eagerly awaiting my birthday Amazon order -- essentially, EVERYTHING (except hardcovers) that's been sitting on my wish list since approximately forever.  It was my jubilee year birthday present to myself.  With the threat of age-related dementia looming on the horizon, I feel the need to prime my brain by reading something a tad more challenging than blog posts and magazines. 

Any suggestions for next year's wish list?




[Lady reading image: Wikimedia Commons]

10 comments:

  1. Right now I'm reading Sonia Sotomayor's memoir and finding it fascinating. Enjoy your good reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be self-serving and plug my book to add to your wish list:

    http://the-quiet-corner.blogspot.com/2013/06/shameless-book-plug.html

    I have a big stack of books I hope to tackle this summer when we're up north including Life after Life, Far From the Tree, and Infinite Jest. I don't know how far I will get, but I really miss having time to really read so summer break is my only chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I"m so glad you ordered books for yourself! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 24, 2013

    So, you showered BEFORE cleaning the bathrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 25, 2013

    I was also wondering why u showered before!?? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently reading "The Interestings" by Meg Wolitzer. Actually, I'm also reading anything I can get my hands on. Sad how an English teacher needs the summer to drink from the oasis of words. Hope you find something awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to know everything you ordered so I can live vicariously. Actually, I do pretty well with Amazon--husband's travel = credit card points = free books on Amazon (the points are automatically linked in). Except when I "spend" the points on the kids...

    Right now I'm reading The Once and Future King by T. H. White. I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Once and Future King is one of the best books ever written. I need to re-read that. I mostly ordered memoirs; I don't seem to be able to suspend disbelief well enough to enjoy any new fiction.

      Delete
  8. Hmmm, I never considered bike ride...but that's a good way to spend one or more of your free hours. Books from Amazon...you took my advice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. An 8 mile bike ride AND clean bathrooms! How much time did you have? Either of those would have taken me an entire day to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete